Questions to ask in an interview with a family lawyer:
When you meet with a family lawyer, you will likely be talking about some of the most personal issues in your life. For that reason, it's very important that you feel comfortable with the person you hire. Be wary of a lawyer who gives you the hard sell or promises a certain result. And before you hire anyone, it's a good idea to talk to a few lawyers first.
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to matrimonial law, and how long have you been doing it?
- What is your policy on returning phone calls? Will you return a call within 24 hours?
- Do you provide a written retainer agreement, and what is the standard fee structure?
- What if you and your spouse own a business together?
- How do you feel about mediation?